History and Context
A 1971 CA Legislative Act states that an accounting of space by campus, building and room must occur every year.
At UC Davis, space is allocated to the higher level organizations (Divisions/Schools/Colleges) by the Provost, and the Deans control how space is allocated to their departments.
Each Division identifies a space coordinator to review and edit the room data for each space department in the Division. FacilitiesLink is the mechanism for accomplishing this annual task. Our system is open and transparent; space coordinators make changes to rooms and Capital and Space Planning audits the changes before they are transferred from FacilitiesLink to the master database.
Responsibilities of the Space Coordinator
- Keeps departmental space assignments, room use codes, number of stations (where applicable) current throughout the year in FacilitiesLink (encouraged).
- Completes the department space inventory in the fall quarter.
- Updates room name in FacilitiesLink (optional).
- Adds occupants to rooms in FacilitiesLink (encouraged).
- Notifies Capital and Space Planning when the floor plan does not match what is actually in the building. This is usually due to renovations that haven't been reported. Please inform us when there are renovations in a building that result in room number changes or square footage adjustments and addition or removal of walls, rooms and doors. We will ask the project manager to send the CAD drawings to Utilities/GIS Services. In some cases, GIS Services and Capital and Space Planning will need to visit the space.
- Serves as a departmental contact regarding questions about space and responds to questions clarifying room use.